|Mission Statement: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)
We believe it is the mission of the Christian church to be of assistance to its community and to the world. In our community we support local mission and assistance organizations including:
- DOC UP (Dalton Organization of Churches United for People) – help with utility and rent bills – staffed by volunteers
- Providence Ministries – donations of clothing, household items, furniture, etc.
- WEC (Women’s Enrichment Center) – help with pregnancy choices, ultrasound, pregnancy testing – staffed by volunteers
- Camp Aim – a summer camp for pregnant or new teenage mothers
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren – summer camp “Camp Promise”
- The Green House – help with abuse situations and counseling
- City of Refuge – help for the homeless and indigent with food, clothes, and shelter – We serve meals one night a month.
- Dalton/Whitfield HUD Emergency Repair Program
- Samaritan’s Purse shoe box collection – Christmas boxes for children worldwide
- Family Promise – helps families with children stay in their homes.
- Upper Room Ministries – volunteers prepare and serve dinner once a week.
- CERT – Community Emergency Response Team – volunteers trained for disaster emergencies.
- Greater Works – help the homeless – showers, clothes, housing, food.
- Bishop’s offering – contribution made in June and July for Bishop’s choice of helping such as mosquito netting.
- Varnell Elementary and Varnell City Hall Christmas Program – gifts, dinner and program for elementary children plus food for their family
- Varnell UMC Praise & Play Preschool scholarship program.
- Local Emergency Assistance Fund – monies set aside to help members of our congregation in times of need such as electricity or rent.
- UMCOR – disaster relief
- Food Pantry at VUMC twice a month – the first and third Wednesdays – from 9:30 to 12 noon. Food box, meat bag and personal items are given away plus information about where to find aid in the vicinity and prayer and devotions.
- Clothing giveaway to food pantry families and the public twice a year in the Spring and Fall.
- Collection of new shoes twice a year to be given to children in West Virginia during our youth mission trip in June.
We also support and participate in mission efforts outside our immediate community. These include mission trips to Nicaragua and previously to Mexico; work trips to West Virginia by our youth and adults through Hands of Hope Ministry and disaster relief help when needed during hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.
In addition, we financially support our missionaries around the world:
- Sheree Firth – church member who leads a mission team to Russia every year
- Mason Satterfield – church member – full-time missionary in Uganda
- Hands of Hope Ministry – Crystal Green -West Virginia
- TMS Global – Graham and Sharon Nichols – Ecuador
- TMS Global – Arthur and Mary Beth Ivey – Peru
- Grace Ministries International – Matt and April Sykes – Puerto Rico – “Camp Caribe”