"Offering Christ while becoming whole-hearted Christ followers"
VUMC Who We Are
VUMC Interview Recap
VUMC's Fitness Ministry
A Word from The Pastor:
Based on Colossians 3:1-17:
Take your mind off things like stress, worry, fear, doubt, pride, anger and envy. Set your mind on things that are above. Set aside your old thoughts and make way for the thoughts of God! Don't waste your brain power on negative thoughts. Set you mind on Christ & his love. My prayer today: Lord, help me set my mind on you today. Amen.
*December 4 - "The Greatest Gift Part I: The God of Hope" Isaiah 11:1-10, Romans 15:4-13, Matthew 3:1-12 Advent Candle of Hope
*December 11 - "The Greatest Gift Part II: Unnoticed at Your Own Party" - Isaiah 35:1-10, James 5:7-10, Matthew 11:2-21 Advent Candle of Love *** Children's Christmas Musical at the 10:45 a.m. Worship Service
*December 18 - "The Greatest Gift Part III: Jesus - What's in a Name?" - Matthew 1:18-25 Advent Candle of Joy ***Chancel Choir presents Cantata and a brief homily at the 10:45 a.m. Worship Service
*December 24 - Christmas Eve Services (Saturday) 6:30 p.m. & 11 p.m. Luke 2:1-7 - "The Greatest Gift Part IV: Jesus - What's in a Name?" ***Christ Candle & Candlelight Service at both services.
* December 25 - Christmas Day - Only Service at 10:30 a.m. - "The Greatest Gift Finale" - Jesus Christ Is Born!
Miracle on Main Street – Children’s Musical THIS SUNDAY
The children of Varnell UMC will present “Miracle on Main Street” The Little Pageant that Wouldn’t Give Up!”
Showtime will be THIS Sunday, December 11, at the 10:45 a.m. Worship Service.
When Love Came Down
The Chancel Choir will present the Christmas Cantata entitled “When Love Came Down” Sunday, December 18 during the 10:45 a.m. Worship Service. Come celebrate the love and joy of the season in the birth of a little baby – Jesus - Our Savior, and King.
An Advent Challenge!
Create an "Advent Box" during the Advent Season, and into it drop a personal item each, and every day. The items will go to Varnell United Methodist Church's Food Pantry Mission Outreach.
Begin your Advent box November 27 and deliver to the church by December 25. Thank you!
Thank You Staff!
We are surely blessed at VUMC to have an outstanding and dedicated staff that maintains our church on a daily basis while ensuring an exciting and spirit-filled service each Sunday. Please look to your hearts to identify what these staff members represent and how they enhance your enjoyment and growth in this Christ-filled church. You can show your appreciation by making a financial gift to the staff.
Write your check to VUMC and write "Staff Gift - Account #3510" on the memo line. We hope to collect these contributions by Sunday, December 18th in order to distribute the gifts before Christmas. Look on the back of the bulletin for a complete listing of the staff. -- Staff Parish Relations Committee
Dear Varnell Family & Friends
2016 has been a phenomenal year for VUMC:
• 6 new ministries (18/25 young adult ministry, Kids Club, Prime Timers, Recharge, Grief Support, Relationship Forums)
• Relevant sermon series and small groups
• Increased worship attendance
• Eight (9) Baptisms, 18 new members, 11 professions of faith
• Giving out over 3,200 food boxes
• Upgrades to the sound and media
• Support of 12 Missionaries
• New flooring Factory and Room 223
• New Children’s ministry wing on the third floor
• Mission trips to Russia, Uganda, Nicaragua and West Virginia
• Grow summer camp
• Two Eli Leadership Participants through Camp Glisson
• Fall Festival with over 300 in attendance
• Four community events with nearly 200 in attendance at each event
• 80+ families adopted through Varnell Community Christmas
• 100% payment of apportionments
Even though we have accomplished much together this past year, there is still much to be done as we continue pressing on in our call to “Love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love our neighbors as ourselves.” To that end I want to invite you to help us have a strong finish to the year, and to prepare ourselves for an exciting 2017, by prayerfully considering an end-of-year financial gift to Varnell UMC. Our family is making this a priority, and I’m asking you and your family to do the same.
While we have had a good year of giving, especially to special projects and missions, we presently have a year-to-date budget shortfall/need of $69,000, which is typical this time of year. We still have a few weeks left in the year, and I am confident that we will overcome this shortfall through your faithful giving just as we have in the past. You can make a donation by giving in our Sunday offerings, mailing a check to the church office, or through online giving.
(Please note: in order for these gifts to be tax deductible, they must be postmarked or given before December 31, 2016.) I want you to remember that your gifts fund ministries that transform lives. Thank you for being a part of the VUMC family and helping us accomplish the vision God has given. Reverend Stephen Streett
Join us for Christmas Eve (Saturday, December 24) at VUMC. The first service is at 6:30 p.m. featuring the children’s bell choir, special music and a surprise visit.
At 11 p.m., there will be special music, a surprise visit, candlelight and Holy Communion.
• One Worship Service Christmas Day at 10:30 a.m. with Sunday School at 9:45 a.m.
• One Worship Service New Year’s Day at 10:30 a.m. with Sunday School at 9:45 a.m.
Youth & Children Events
• DECEMBER 14 @ 6:30 PM - YOUTH CHRISTMAS PARTY! COME WEARING YOUR UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER. MEET IN THE FACTORY.
• DECEMBER 14 @ 6 P.M. - KIDS CLUB WILL GO CHRISTMAS CAROLING! THEY WILL RETURN TO THE CHURCH @ 8 P.M.
Clothing Drive for Varnell UMC Food Pantry
VUMC Food Pantry will be hosting a clothing distribution for our Food Pantry Patrons on Wednesday, January 11, 2017. As you sort through your winter clothing, hold onto any clothing for infants through adults(male and female). We will collect it in the gym on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017 from noon until 5pm.
Help is also needed during that time to sort the clothes. Please no rips or stains. Shoes in good condition are also acceptable. Any question, call Rhonda Suarez (706)270-2355
Varnell UMC Praise & Play Preschool
Praise and Play Preschool has openings in all age groups and we still have scholarship money available for this school year.
If you know anyone who wants to come to preschool and thinks they cannot afford it, please put them in contact with Sharon Ewing, Preschool Director. The Preschool phone number is (706) 694-9800. Thanks.
Help Us Grow
Electronic giving is a convenient, consistent way to help VUMC grow!
Varnell UMC is excited to announce that you can now manage your giving online! Giving online is easy and allows you to set up automatic recurring contributions and view your complete online giving history from anywhere you have access to the internet. You can also give easily by text.
Click on the Online Giving button. Follow the onscreen instructions to create an online profile and to schedule your recurring contributions.
You can make make a contribution to VUMC with a quick text message! Simply send a text to 706-620-4587 with the amount you would like to contribute.
Prayer Request Guidelines
MONDAY – FRIDAY: 9 A.M. UNTIL 5 P.M. - DAYTIME
SEND PRAYER REQUESTS TO: Tammy Burek @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office at (706) 694-8023.
MONDAY – FRIDAY: 5 P.M. UNTIL 9 A.M. - NIGHT TIME
SATURDAYS, SUNDAYS, AND HOLIDAYS SEND PRAYER REQUESTS TO: Bill Davidson @ email@example.com or call or text at (423) 432-3635.
FORMAT OF PRAYER REQUESTS:
* LET US KNOW WHAT YOU WISH TO SHARE.
* IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF REQUESTS ARE WORDED EXACTLY AS YOU WANT DISTRIBUTED.
* FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME OF THOSE WE ARE PRAYING FOR IS ALWAYS A PLUS.
PRAYER CHAIN MEMBERS:
* IF YOU WISH TO BE ON THE LIST TO RECEIVE PRAYER REQUESTS AND UPDATES (AND ARE NOT ALREADY RECEIVING THEM) PLEASE SEND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
TO TAMMY OR BILL.
* PRAYER REQUEST AND UPDATES WILL OFTEN ARRIVE DAILY TO YOUR INBOX SOMETIMES WITH URGENT UPDATES. YOU MAY RECEIVE MORE THAN ONE
EMAIL PER DAY. QUESTIONS? CALL TAMMY OR BILL.